239 Hwy 5 St George, ON N0E 1N0


About the Quilt Block

Volunteer firefighters have served the St. George and surrounding community for one hundred and two years, providing assistance to residents for structure fires, extrication from vehicle accidents, medical assists and defibrillator program. They are proactive in advocating preventative measures such as promotion of smoke detectors and CO detectors. A very important part of the volunteer department is the enthusiastic support of community events.

The fire service in St. George has been located in three halls, the first in 1912 located between the Methodist Church and the blacksmith shop in the area of our present Legion.  In 1962 a new hall was built at this location to house the larger, more-modern fire trucks.  The present building located at 72 Main Street North houses four state-of-the-art trucks and the refurbished 1928 antique Chevrolet pumper fire truck.  Firefighters were first alerted to emergencies when the bell, which currently sits in front of the present fire hall, rang to warn residents of fire.  Sirens and pagers sounded the alarm in later years and now cell phones assist portable radios with mapping and directions.

Currently Station 7 St. George, as part of amalgamated County of Brant fire service, has a membership of 24 firefighters who answer approximately 180 calls per year.  While buildings and equipment are the ever-changing elements in the fire service, one constant that remains is the spirit of volunteerism and dedication that has been an outstanding characteristic of the St. George firefighters from 1912 throughout 2014, and beyond.


Submitted by District Chief Tim Nesbitt, St. George Station 7, County of Brant.